Poisons and Pets

Our pets’ worlds are full of things that can pose a major risk to their health and safety. Unfortunately, many of them can be found right in their own homes. Take a moment to learn about which threats are looming right under their curious little noses, how to identify if your pup may be sick, and what to do about it if so.

The (Not So) Hidden Dangers

You may be aware that household cleaners and chocolate are dangerous for dogs, but did you know that petroleum jelly (or Vaseline) and artificial sweeteners can make your dog very ill? According to the ASPCA, here is a list of household items to keep far away from your furry friends: 

  • Essential oils
  • Fabric softener sheets
  • Grout
  • Scented litter
  • Aspirin
  • Bar soap and face wash
  • Pepto Bismol
  • Poisonous plants

Various human food items can also be dangerous for animals or cause them to become ill, including:

  • Alcohol
  • Avocado
  • Chocolate
  • Citrus
  • Grapes and raisins
  • Milk and dairy
  • Nuts
  • Artificial sweeteners

How to Spot the Signs of Poisoning

What to do if your pet becomes sick

If you think your pet has ingested something toxic, call your veterinarian right away or go to your nearest emergency veterinary hospital. You can also call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435. It is important to seek help right away because some of these poisons can work very quickly in a dog’s system. 

If it’s possible to figure it out, your vet will want to know what your pet has ingested and how much. If you have a container or additional information about the product, bring it with you. And finally, keep track of all signs and symptoms of illness so you can relay them to the provider. You may even want to write them down as they appear, as this will help you answer questions in a possibly stressful situation.