Just as cannabidiol (CBD) oil is becoming an increasingly popular holistic treatment for many ailments in humans, it is also gaining attention in the world of veterinary medicine. These benefits and possible downsides of using CBD oil to treat your dog’s maladies can help you make an informed decision on the use of this powerful herb.
What is CBD Oil and What is it Used For?
CBD is a compound found in cannabis/hemp and is most often used for relaxation, pain relief, inflammation, and more. CBD is not psychoactive and will not get your pooch “high”—that comes from the tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) which is a separate compound.
CBD has been researched extensively and can be used to treat many ailments that your pup may be suffering from. CBD oil may:
- Help relieve anxiety and relax nervous dogs
- Help relieve pain caused by inflammation (internal or external) or neuropathy (nerve-related pain)
- Help with seizures and epilepsy, including drug-resistant epilepsy
- Increase appetite and reduce nausea
- Promote cardiovascular health, including protecting blood vessels and arteries and reducing heart rate and blood pressure
- Protect the nervous system and protect the brain from cell death due to neurodegenerative diseases or toxins/free radicals
- Suppress the effects of autoimmune diseases, including allergies and hypersensitivities
- Help fight cancer by stopping the growth of cancerous cells and increasing tumor cell death
While CBD oil may help ease your dog’s pain and tension, the best part is that it is legal and safe—even when taken over extended periods of time. And, because CBD oil is derived from hemp oil, it generally contains no traces of THC and has mild, if any, side effects.
Possible Side Effects of CBD Oil
While there are a couple of mild reactions of CBD that may affect humans, the good news is that dogs will generally experience none at all. When giving your dog CBD oil, he may feel slightly drowsy, but that’s about it!
However, CBD products are at risk for contamination if not harvested or processed properly, so it is important to be considerate when choosing a brand of CBD.
Choosing the Best CBD Oil for Your Dog
To minimize side effects and risks associated with using this herbal product, here are a few things to consider:
- Choose organic and pet-friendly CBD oil to ensure there are no pesticides, fungicides, or other contaminants.
- Check the COA (Certificate of Analysis) before using the product, which shows the quantity of the different cannabinoids in the oil–for best results find a brand with little to no THC.
- Buy CBD as a tincture so you can easily adjust the dose to fit your dog’s unique needs. This is more difficult to do when using CBD dog treats or other CBD products.
- Purchase the high quality and high purity oil that is free of additives to ensure its safety for your pup.
If you are looking for a more natural way to help treat your dog’s ailments, CBD oil may be the way to go. And, with all of the continued research surrounding this herb, CBD is quickly becoming a very promising and safe treatment for people and pets!